On Friday 26 February a conference entitled: ‘Under the Protection of the Most High God’ will take place in Saint Patrick’s College, Carlow from 9.30am until 5.00pm to examine ‘Ethical and Theological Perspectives on the 1916 Rising’. The conference will present talks and lectures by:
- Professor Eunan O’Halpin, Bank of Ireland Professor of Contemporary Irish History, Trinity College Dublin
- Padraig Ó Snodaigh, Irish language activist, poet, writer and publisher
- Dr Thomas J. Morrissey SJ
- Dr John Scally, Theology Lecturer, Trinity College Dublin
- and a keynote address by Francis Campbell, Vice-Chancellor, St. Mary’s University, London
In this conference the question of the specifically Catholic-nationalist outlook of the rebels will be explored, and the speakers will consider the significance of the Rising in the world in which we live today, examining topics such as religion and the use of violence, feminist perspectives on the Rising, Irish Catholic nationalism, and the literature of the Rising.
Admission is free and open to all.
For further information contact Dr Debra Snoddy at email@example.com.