The annual Novena to Saint Maria Goretti will take place in the Church of the Assumption, Collooney, in the Diocese of Achonry. The Novena will begin on Tuesday 28 June and will end on 6 July, the Feast Day of Saint Maria Goretti.
During the Novena, Confessions will be held nightly at 7.30pm in the Church of the Assumption, along with prayers of the Holy Rosary at 7.40pm, and Mass at 8pm. Several guest speakers will also be present at the novena, including Bishop John Fleming, Bishop of Killala, and Father Richard Gibbons, Parish Priest of Knock.
The full schedule for the Novena is as follows:
- Tuesday 28 June – Most Rev. John Fleming (Bishop of Killala)
- Wednesday 29 June – Fr Richard Gibbons (PP Knock)
- Thursday 30 June – Fr. Tomás Surlis (President of Saint Nathy’s College)
- Friday 1 July – Fr. Pat Munnelly (PP Ardagh, Ballina)
- The Sacrament of the Sick will be administered during the 8pm Mass on this night.
- Saturday 2 July – Sr Maud Murphy (Addiction & Gambling Counsellor, Hope House)
- Sunday 3 July – Fr John Coughlan (Boyle) – Mass & prayers for Sick Children
- Monday 4 July – Sr Anne Neylon (Writer of ‘Grow In Love’ Catechetical Programme for children in 3rd & 4th Class)
- Tuesday 5 July – Trish O’Brien (Chaplain of Saint Louis School, Kiltimagh) – Youth Night
- Wednesday 6 July – Fr John Cullen (PP Kiltoom) – Forgiving Oneself & Forgiving Others
St. Maria Goretti (October 16, 1890 – July 6, 1902) is an Italian virgin-martyr and one of the youngest canonized saints. She was canonized on 24 June, 1950, by Pope Pius XII.