On 4 September last, Archbishop Dermot Farrell of Dublin hosted a farewell event at Holy Cross College, Clonliffe.
The occasion, which included a prayer service in the College Chapel and a buffet reception in the grounds, marked the end of the Archdiocese of Dublin’s long association with the premises. More than 200 people, including priests and current and former diocesan staff members, attended.
Archbishop Farrell acknowledged the contribution of Holy Cross College to the life of the Church in the Archdiocese of Dublin for 168 years.
He underlined the need for new modalities of formation for those who will be involved in the ministry of the Church and the proclamation of the Gospel in the coming decades.
The college was founded as the diocesan seminary by Cardinal Paul Cullen in 1854. In recent years, the college buildings accommodated the diocesan offices.
The property will officially change hands next month. All of the diocesan offices have moved to new locations.
The Archdiocese is working closely with the new owners to facilitate the accommodation of refugees fleeing the war in Ukraine.