Bishop Denis Nulty of Kildare and Leighlin has thanked the priests of the Diocese for their commitment during the Covid-19 pandemic as he announced the diocesan clerical changes for 2021.
Bishop Nulty said, “These past 15 months have seen huge upheaval for us all: an upheaval that has given us time to reflect and re-evaluate how we do things. It is in this vein of a changing landscape that I announce the diocesan appointments this year. While at first glance there may seem to be only seven priests involved in the changes, which have been kept to a minimum, I would like to emphasise that every one of our 78 priests in parish ministry or available for parish ministry is involved in the diocesan changes in this exceptional pandemic time. We need to be much more supportive and cooperative with our neighbouring parishes. We need to facilitate time off for colleagues. We need to be much more comfortable pulpit sharing. Together we must carry one another and become less consumed by our individual parishes. I envisage both Fr. Shem and Fr. Petru, while taking up curacy appointments, will also, in time, be Support Priests in the wider fraternity of parishes where they will be ministering.
“I very much thank all our priests who have generously accepted new and additional responsibilities. We fondly remember the late Fr. Jimmy Doyle and we continue to keep Fr. PJ McEvoy in our prayers.”
The following appointments, will take effect from 20 August 2021:
- Mgr. John McDonald PP in The Curragh to become PE CC The Curragh
- Father PJ Somers CC The Curragh to become PP The Curragh
- Father John Brickley PP Kilcock to become PP Staplestown & Cooleragh
- Father George Augustine CC Kilcock to become PP Kilcock
- Fathe. Liam Lawton to become Adm Edenderry for one year while continuing his diocesan duties and living in Graiguecullen
- Father Shem Furlong, Knockbeg College to become CC Bagenalstown
- Father Petru Medves CC Bagenalstown to become CC Abbeyleix, Ballinakill & Raheen
For more see www.kandle.ie.