Pope Francis has named three women to the Vatican’s Dicastery for Bishops.
The Holy Father alluded to the nominations to the Vatican department responsible for identifying future bishops globally in an interview with Reuters’ correspondent Philip Pullella last week.
The Pope’s appointments as members of the Vatican Dicastery were published in a statement from the Holy See Press Office.
The female members are Sister Raffaella Petrini, F.S.E., Secretary General of the Governorate of the Vatican City State; Sister Yvonne Reungoat , F.M.A, former Superior General of the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians; and Dr. Maria Lia Zervino , President of the World Union of Catholic Women’s Organizations. The nomination of Ms. Zervino marks the first appointment ever of a laywoman to the Vatican’s Dicastery for Bishops.
Dublin born Bishop Paul Tighe has also been appointed to the dicastery.
The full list of the Pope’s appointments as Dicastery members is as follows:
- Cardinal Anders Arborelius , OCD, Bishop of Stockholm (Sweden)
- Cardinal Jose F. Advincula , Archbishop of Manila (Philippines)
- Cardinal José Tolentino de Mendonça , Archivist and Librarian of the Holy Roman Church
- Cardinal Mario Grech , Secretary General of the Synod of Bishops
- Cardinal Arthur Roche , Prefect of the Dicastery for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments
- Cardinal-elect Lazzaro You Heung-sik , Prefect of the Dicastery for the Clergy
- Cardinal-elect Jean-Marc Aveline , Archbishop of Marseille (France)
- Cardinal-elect Oscar Cantoni, Bishop of Como (Italy)
- Archbishop Dražen Kutleša , Archbishop of Split-Makarska (Croatia)
- Bishop Paul Desmond Tighe , Secretary of the former Pontifical Council for Culture
- Father Dom Donato Ogliari , OSB, Abbot of the Abbey of San Paolo fuori le Mura and Apostolic Administrator of the Territorial Abbey of Montecassino (Italy)
- Sister Raffaella Petrini , FSE, Secretary General of the Governorate of the Vatican City State
- Sister Yvonne Reungoat , FMA, former Superior General of the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians
- Doctor Maria Lia Zervino , President of the World Union of Catholic Women’s Organizations