Faithcast is the weekly podcast from catholicnews.ie, the news source for the Irish Catholic Bishops’ Conference. Presented by Brenda Drumm, Faithcast is a mixture of interviews and news snippets from the Catholic Church in Ireland.
This week’s episode of Faithcast features an interview with Cardinal Kevin Farrell, Prefect of the Vatican Dicastery for Laity, Family and Life. Cardinal Farrell was in Dublin last week as part of a special preparatory meeting for the World Meeting of Families which will take place in Dublin in August 2018. Cardinal Farrell shares his hopes and his high expectations for Ireland’s hosting of next year’s WMOF2018. He also shares hopes that families from Ireland and from around the world will be part of the preparations and the WMOF2018.
Brenda also speaks to Father Brett Brannen about vocations. Father Brannen is in Ireland this week delivering the annual retreat to the Diocesan Vocations Directors. Father Brannen is a priest of the diocese of Savannah, Georgia, USA, where he was a vocations director for 10 years. He is a full time pastor now in a busy parish but he also makes time to share some of what he has learned as pastor and vocations director in a book called To Save A Thousand Souls and he shares some of his thoughts on vocations ministry in the 21st century.
This week’s faith news focuses on:
- The statement of the Catholic Bishops in Northern Ireland in advance of the Westminster elections this week;
- The Irish Church Music Association Summer School taking place from 5 – 8 July;
- A statement from the Missionary Society of Saint Columban opposing the USA’s withdrawal from the Paris Climate Agreement;
- Trócaire’s show garden with a conscience wins a Silver Medal at Bloom Festival 2017;
- Ecumenical Bible Week 2017; and,
- Pope Francis’ prayers for the victims of last Saturday’s terror attacks in London.
Click here to listen/download this week’s episode.